Friday, January 11, 2008

Cause all the cool kids are doing it . . .

This meme came from Rhi in Pink:

1. What did you do in 2007 that you'd never done before?
Lived my life. 2007 was a mercurial and transitory year for me. I'm continuing to learn from the lessons that were laid out.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Our New Year's Resolution's had to rhyme. So made a few.
-Feel great in 2008
-Dominate in 2008
-Lose weight in 2008
I'm actually keeping them. (We'll see how long that lasts.) I'll make New Year's Resolutions until I die, it's a comforting tradition for me, even if I never keep them past Valentine's Day.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Duh. Didn't you hear the news about Nicole & Joel, their new baby girl, Harlow Madden, and Christina & Jordan's new baby boy!

4. Did anyone close to you die?
The young wife of an old friend passed away from a rare lung cancer and it shook me pretty bad. It did impact my life though--- I quit smoking.

5. What countries did you visit?
Unfortunately, none. But in 2008- Travelate to Cubadate!

6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?
I agree with Rhi. LESS DEBT! But I'm on track now, thank goodness. I look back at the Ash of a few years ago and think, "Were all the Coach and Kate Spade bags worth it?"

7. What dates from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
July 11, 2007- Change my outlook. Can't explain why in a public domain.
November 17, 2007- Tripp Sister's "Annual" Hawaii Get-a-way!

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Learning to love myself more.

9. What was your biggest failure?
The entire episode with Nordy. I don't exactly regret what happened because I learned so much about myself, but I wish I would have handled it more sensibly and without the glut of uneccesasary drama.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

Yes! Not anything too serious, but I was sick for the last two months of the year. (I think part of this was due to my excessive nighttime habits, if you get the driftm . . . )

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Well, I don't know if it can be classified as "bought," but I exchanged my habitual trend of co-dependency for a stronger sense of self-respect and finally became more confortable telling people, "No, I don't want to do that." (Ok, ok, and my new favorite earrings from jewelry dsigner, Deborah Funches.)

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Mine! I'm on break-through behavior mode, baby!

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
George Bush and most other Republican 2008 candidates.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Sadly, booze, drugs and partying. (See, I've really cleaned up my act!)

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Going to Hawaii with my girls, getting "the" Nicole Lee bag for Christmas and starting freshate in 2008!

16. What song will always remind you of 2007?
Tears Dry On Their Own by Amy Winehouse. I swear--- I must have listened to that song at least a million times. It was on repeat for, no joke, at least 5 months. Honestly, I have every song on that album memorized and it WAS the playlist of 2007. Her self-descruction and provocative despair appealed to me.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? MUCH happier!!!!!!!
b) thinner or fatter? Thinner! (I've actually been getting up as the ass-crack of dawn to work-out. I'm still amazed by this.)
c) richer or poorer? Richer, in every way that matters.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Get a clue about what was actually going on instead of trying to ignore it and believe what I "wanted."

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Crying and feeling sorry for myself.

20. How did you spend Christmas?
With my fantastic Family. Tripp Sister Spa Day on Christmas Eve, Tripp Family Annual Party on Christmas Eve night (Mom came too! Yay!), and divied up Christmas Day with Ryni, Weana, Mom, Dad, my two amazing sisters, and a fun aunt and happy grandparents!

21. Did you fall in love in 2007?
Yes, unfortunately. I was like, the Queen of Unrequited Love. Not going there again!

22. What was your favorite TV program?
This is embarrassing: it's a tie between The Hills and Weeds.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Nope, I've got nothing but love.

24. What was the best book you read?
No one belongs here more than you by Miranda July. I also re-read, Getting Over It by Anna Maxted which is one of my all-time favorites.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Love-stung girl music. I adore Jasmine Ash, Feist, Sara Bareilles and Colbie Calliet.

26. What did you want and get?

The forementioned Nicole Lee bag and a better relationship with a few select people.

27. What did you want and not get?
Honesty; kind of disappointing.

28. What was your favorite film of this year?
I can't get enough of Once. It was the sleeper hit of the year with an amzaing musical score. So much passion and energy.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Not being such a drama-queen.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007?
Unconventional? I don’t know. I’m a cross between portland urban and albany country club.

32. What kept you sane?
Reading about women going through more deranged relationship dilemnas than I. Also, Cosmo's, cocaine and chicken wings.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Reggie Bush. I became a football-aholic and found him charming.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?
Anything related to George Bush. He's the most substanial and caustic threat to the well-being of America.

35. Who did you miss?
Amanda, Heidi and Traci who live in Oklahoma, Alaska and Ohio.

36. Who was the best new person you met?
Josh. Also there are some friends I have reconnected with. It's all been very positive for me.

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007.
Self-descruction and co-dependency doesn’t work anymore. I am not a teenager, I am an adult. Deal with it.

38. Quote a song that sums up your year.

"Brandy Alexander" by Feist

Though I'd like to be the girl for him
And cross the sea and land for him
On milky skin my tongue is sand until
The ever distant band begins to play

He's my Brandy Alexander
Always gets me into trouble
But that's another matter
Brandy Alexander

He's my Brandy Alexander
Always gets me into trouble
But that's another matter
Brandy Alexander

Though I know what I love most of him
I'm walking on needles and pins
My addiction to the worst of him
The low moon helps me sing

I'm his Brandy Alexander
Always get him into trouble
I hide that I'm flattered
Brandy Alexander

I'm his Brandy Alexander
Always get him into trouble
I hide that I'm flattered
Brandy Alexander

Goes down easy
It goes down easy

39. Quote a song that will create 2008.

"Intuition" by Feist

What gives, what helps, the intuition?
I know, I'll know
I won't have to be shown
The way home
And it's not about a boy
Although although

They can lead you
Break or defeat you

A destination known
Only by the one
Who's fate is overgrown
Piecemeal can break your home in half
A love is not complete with only heat

And they can tease you
Break or complete you

And it came a heat wave
A merciful save
You choose you chose
Poetry over prose
A map is more unreal than where you've been
Or how you feel
A map is more unreal than where you've been
Or how you feel
And it's impossible to tell
How important someone was
And what you might have missed out on
And how he might have changed it all
And how you might have changed it all for him
And how he might have changed it all
And how you might have changed it all for him

Did I, did I
Did I, did I
Did I, did I
Did I, did I
Did I did I miss out on you?

1 comment:

Rhi said...

Hey, baby, you know I'm a Republican, right? A reasonable one, but still...

LOVES...