Tuesday, May 27, 2008

On the side: Ash Unabashed's Red Bliss Potato Salad

Potato Love: A picture of my delectable dinner tonight. Yum, yim, yum!

I got home from work a tab bit late tonight (around 7pm). I had been planning to make my famous Red Bliss Potato Salad, but was so tired ... so I told myself, "Buck up!" I had just gone to the grocery store yesterday and bought my little menagerie of fresh ingredients and wanted to create my masterpiece while everything was crisp and new ... and while I was still craving the mouthwatering combination of Danish bleu cheese, bacon, potatoes, chives and secret ingredients!

By the time I sat down to dinner tonight it was 9pm, but it didn't matter because I was in heaven! I made extra for lunch tomorrow too. Lucky me.

I recently re-read the one of my favorite books, Alone in the Kitchen with an Eggplant. It reminded me that instead of returning home, plopping myself down and eating a bowl of cereal and Ben & Jerry's frozen yogurt, I need to remember how much pleasure I get from making something I love to eat. Even if it's just one weird item. Or roasted asparagus with a Dijon vinaigrette. Or tequila-grilled shrimp with spicy rice and cayenne pepper mango slices. Or ... my famous Red Bliss Potato Salad. It doesn't need to be an entire meal (i.e. protein, carb, sugar, etc.) to derive enjoyment or fulfill me with satisfaction and validation. Does that sound crazy? Validation from a potato???Actually, it has more to do with acceptance, gratification and relishing what is important to you!


What's your favorite meal to make when you're eating solo and cooking for yourself? Tell me, what does your mouth love?

4 comments:

Lucas said...

Oh my gosh, I'm TERRIBLE at cooking for myself. Absolutely terrible. Generally though, if I could have something made FOR ME, I'm a lover of BBQ chicken pizza. *drool*

Emily Dorchak said...

yum. sounds wonderfull! thanks for the comments, haha. i think ur pretty hip, lol. :D im a good cook. ish. i do have a history of messing up cookies, lol. but im pretty good. ish. haha. ur potato salad sounds WONDERFUL! i made potato salad once, it was pretty good, but it didnt look very good, lol. ur looks pretty!

(Sometimes!) Serendipitous Girl said...

Three words: Brown Butter Ravioli! Mmmmm! Heat a tablespoon of butter in a skillet over medium heat until it starts browning (about 3 minutes) add a shot of balsamic vinegar and let it reduce for a minute and then pour it over cooked cheese ravioli and top with parmesan. You can make it for one or twelve! And now I'm hungry!

Rhi said...

That looks very yummy! Martha has a similar recipe that I want to try.