Friday, May 2, 2008

Details of Date Night

I reluctantly agreed to go on a blind date tonight (set up by my eyebrow waxer) and was pleasantly surprised! I just got home and actually had a incredibly fun time.

We started out the evening meeting at Kalga Kafe (they lose one point for the annoying alliterative use) having a cocktail . . . umm, you all know me, I'll be honest, it was actually two. I've never been to Kalga before and it was awesome. I didn't realize it was a vegetarian/vegan spot, but once you get inside it's really cozy--- dark red walls and lots of candles and windows. The bar is really cute too. The drinks were awesome, very creative and tasty and we ordered the samosas and they were phenom. I want to come back and try some of their other dishes too. I love, love, love the falafel at Madena in the Pearl, but Kalga's falafel looks mighty tasty--- we might have a strong contender for Portland's Best Fafafel.

After Kalga I was feeling a baby bit tipsy, slightly silly and alotta giggly. Best part---- I was making him CRACK UP. Ladies and gentlemen . . . this is when he wooed me. He made appointments for us to get our tarots read! OMG- it was so amazing. Jadiza was our prophetic medium and told me great things like:

  • I'm at a major crossroads in a influential relationship in my life
  • I let fear guide my decisions too much, and I put too much passionate energy into situations that I know will not work out the way I want them to
  • I have a ultimatums I need to deal with in my life
  • I often don't do anything and let problems or issues sit for awhile because I don't like dealing with them
  • I need to learn to trust my intuition more
  • THE BEST PART- I chose a very rare card for the "Outside Influences" position. It signified karmaic balance in external forces around me. J told me that this is a great opportunity for me and a somewhat precious one. There is all this balanced, positive energy around me and I need to recognize it and use it. It's there for my benefit, but I tend not to notice (or probably simply ignore it) and haven't been taking advantage of it. It's adundant and I should be using this "karmic balance" to empower myself and strength my inner self.

Whoo-hooo! The news was good. I just have to figure out what crossroads I'm at and make the right decision!
After our readings we headed out to Pambiche for dinner. It was the perfect atmosphere after the somber and earthy tarot shop- bright, loud, crowded and fun. We put our names on the list and waited outside by the heaters while sipping a glass of sangria. He told me about his childhood in Monroe, Washington. Sounded idyllic and similar to mine- doting mom, close siblings and crazy family drama at times. We finally got a table outside and ordered Cuban sandwiches and more sangria. We talked more about his job (Research Analyst for Wachovia) and my utter lack of understanding at what he does. I actually said, "Umm, I don't know what that means." I think most guys would probably think, "I thought you were smart!" But he tried to patiently explain it and smiled. And then he turned to me and said quixotically, "How do you market a law firm? Now it's my turn to be confused." (LOVE HIM!) After our dinner was finished he insisted on dessert because he has a sweet tooth. At this time I was partially drunk, and wanted to pull the whole, "I'll give you something for your sweet tooth!" But Polite & Polished Ash raised her heckles and reminded Tipsy, Flirty, Sexually-Frustrated Ash to behave herself. Then I panicked. [Note to webfriends: You might not know this about me, but I have a rule about sharing desserts with boys. My rule is: I won't. I have this weird issue with sharing dessert. The only way I'll share dessert with a male is if I'm related to him (i.e. my dad or cousin) or if he's unequivocally at boyfriend status. Here's my thing about this practice: dessert is a very intimate dish and I don't share that with "just friends" or boys I don't know. I take it very seriously. I'm serious. I'm weird about this. It feels awkward to share something so sensual and evocative with just anyone. I kind of equate dessert with orgasms . . . and I'm not gonig to come with just anyone. Get it? Now you understand why I was panicking!] I feigned an aversion to all things lemony (this is a half-truth, I acutally hate lemon mereinge pie), and ordered an espresso instead.

After dinner we walked a few blocks north to Laurelthirst Pub, grabbed a table and listened to the funk sounds of a mature gentleman named, Baby Gramps. (I'm being facetious.) But this guy is pretty incredible. He plays crazy-ass instruments like washboards and homemade xylophones. Apparently he was also featured on one of the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtracks. That seems to reflect his personality: an old pirate with funny stories who has lived a hard and fast life. The pub was cozy and me and the boy sat close. Things were certainly heating up between us--- at least I thought they were! Around 11pm I decided I needed to head home before I got hopped up and started making bad decsions. He walked me to my car and gave me a hug and then >>>>>>>> whoops >>>>>>>> I didn't know if he was going to kiss me and I thought he might, but then . . . the moment was there and then . . . . gone . . . and nothing. But then . . . he leaned back in . . . AND GAVE ME ANOTHER HUG. Hmmmm, perplexing behavior. This doesn't bode well for me. It seems to me, in my experiences and the experiences of my friends, guys know what they want and most go after it. Meaning, if you're friends with a dude, chances are, he just wants to be friends. If he wanted more he'd act on it. This is bad news for Ash. No offense to all the great guys out there ,.. . . . but I need another guy friend just like I need another hole in the head. I need to get laid, and I WANT a boyfriend. I've got plenty of buddies who I can hang out with and listen to their asshat-ness and creepy reviews of every pair of female boobs between the age of 16-50.

After that uncomfortable and gauche (at least on my side) exchange (of course, he didn't seem to notice anything amiss!) I hopped inside my car and down the hill I went, back to my apartment sweet apartment. In retrospect, it was a fun night. I actually enjoyed the boy and I honestly think he had fun too. It might not have been a love connection on his part but we still had a pleasant night and lots of smiles. This is the part where I'm supposed to say, "Even if we're not a match, I've just made a new friend." If you're still delusional enough to think I'll revert to that, please see the bottom half of the above paragraph and remember my aforementioned hostility towards new boys who only want to be friends. Yep, you got it- not going to happen. So I won't even pretend that I'm going to be friends with him. About the time he calls me to ask if I want to grab a beer, watch the game and give him girl advice (meaning a girl other than me), he's officially on the Homie Hit List. Let's stay positive and pray for Ash that he'll call by Monday and ask her out for a mid-week happy hour at a swank place like, Bluehour or the VQ. PRAY HARD PEOPLE- I LIKE THIS GUY!

By the way, one of those amazing things happened this morning when I woke up. My tooth was still hurting, but by the time I got out of the shower the pain was barely discernible and then . . . magic . . . I had one of the best hair and make-up days of my life. And it wasn't just me who noticed. When I got on the elevator in my building this morning, McLawyer said, "You look good this morning, and you smell good too." WHAT?!?!?!!? I was totally stunned. Then when I got to my office Kristen was like, "You look great this morning! Your hair is so beautiful ((((more gushing about my pretty hair))). Did you have sex last night? You look . . . satisfied." So see, it was one of those miraculous days!

Are my blog friends wondering why I didn't make mention of this date before now? Don't feel jealous--- just confirm with Rhi--- I didn't tell ANYONE about it! I was expecting the worse and didn't want to have share the horror story when it was complete. This might be a good formula . . . note to self: track ROI on dating methodology.

All in all, this was a very positive experience, but I'm not going to get my hopes up because of that weird double-hug thing. Do you know what I'm talking about?!?!?!?!!!! Speaking of, what was your best blind date? Have you even had a good blind date? If not, gimme your worst blind date story! I really haven't gone on many blind dates; just in the last year did I branch out to this. My last one was terrible, but apparently my luck is changing . . . here's to karmic balances!

2 comments:

Rhi said...

I am going to flick you this morning for not telling me about this!

Woolly said...

I've never been on a blind date. Sounds like you had a good one. If I were you I would be getting ready for the second interview!